Tuesday, September 22, 2009

NEW RESEARCH DISPROVES NESTING

For years, doctors and midwives have termed "nesting" the period of time just before a new baby arrives. Supposedly, the mother has a sudden burst of energy and feels the desire to clean and prepare everything in (and out) of sight.

However, the latest research conducted during the 3rd Cupit pregnancy finds that this "nesting" is in fact led by guilt and fear rather than bursts of energy. The sampling pool, small but accurate, reports a desire to prepare the house and other to-do items to an acceptable level. Maren says she just doesn't want to be embarrassed when people come to assist the family after the C-section. There is a lot to prepare. The husband in the sampling pool doesn't seem to feel the urgency (or perhaps refuses to acknowledge that chaos is in fact on its way in less than 2 weeks). Bags must be packed. Directions for the daily routine for the other children must be prepared, laundry must be up to date (ha!), bills must be scheduled to be paid, the house needs to be in order, if not deep cleaned, and finally the fridge (now clean, by the way) needs to be stocked. Never mind the pages-long list of house "projects" left unfinished and the Halloween decorations that will not see the light of night if they don't go up before the Cupits head to the hospital. And of course, those mothers that work outside of the home know that there are way too many incomplete tasks at the office to finish as the last day fast approaches.

Some may continue to call it nesting, but this research concludes that's just a euphemism created by women to explain their frenzied attempt to put life in order right before it turns to pandemonium.

5 comments:

Stacy Hutchinson said...

Well said, and I agree. I was reorganizing closets and scrubbing baseboards mostly because I knew if I didn't do it before the baby came, then I'd be looking at a mess for months!

Lauren said...

We did the same thing too! Cam and I were deep cleaning our fridge the day before the induction, but not because of nesting.

Let us know what we can do to help you out!

Cathi said...

I totally agree! I've got to clean from top to bottom before the baby (and inlaws) come!

Meredith said...

AMEN! For some reason, few think about the fear factor. It's alive and well and, thankfully, saves us some craziness in the first few months of the baby's life. Best of luck to you! Can't believe it's so close...

museumeg said...

It's totally a fear thing. But my both of my babies came two weeks early so I was pretty much caught off guard. Thank goodness my mom came and helped with all the cleaning so I could focus on my babies.