Saturday, September 20, 2008

OP ED: '1 CALL' SAYS IT ALL

On my way home from picking up Laurel at school yesterday, I sat a traffic light listening to the kids chattering behind me and staring blankly ahead at the traffic. Then a sight broke me from my trance. Imagine a white sporty Lexus with all blacked out windows and gold trim aftermarket accessories. I checked out the rims, too. No biggie, right? Alright, now add this...the vanity tag read "1 CALL". My mind, like most of yours, I bet, channeled immediately to the memory of the commercial I have seen hundreds of times. My teeth clenched and nostrils flared as I recalled the voice, "One call, that's all...." For those of you not following, I will explain. Brad informed me that some people may not have the same cynicism, so I will finish my thought. I think I can assume this driver was in a wreck and got a check (remember that commercial, too? "My wreck, my check!") and bought a shiny new Lexus. Maybe some of our readers live somewhere that doesn't promote this kind of theft. In Louisiana, it's rampant. I make that judgement because the commercials for the attorneys (I could use another word my father would prefer) seem to be on every channel and every show. They are usually followed or preceded by the chiropractors' commercials ("no payment is due until your case is settled!")

Make no mistake, were I or "a loved one" in a wreck, I would expect the insurance company to pay a fair settlement. If they didn't, I too, would hire an attorney (hopefully one with some class) to ethically represent my rights. We also have a family member badly injured in an accident. Visiting him in the hospital helped me understand the necessity for "pain and suffering" compensation. I have battled with insurance companies before and make no attempt to portray them as angels. That said, our family has also been treated first class by an auto insurance agency after an accident at our fault. In another wreck, we were informed that the driver of the other vehicle was seeing a chiropractor and had hired an attorney in attempt to recover lost wages, medical bills, etc. I didn't see the other vehicle in the wreck, but based on the account retold by my ever-honest husband, my gut says scam.

I have one fun dream. Wouldn't it be intriguing to hear how much the attorney got from each case that he plasters on his ads? "MB got me 1.4 million and I paid him over $400,000!" Oh oh oh, there is so much more I could say, but negativity feeds on negativity. It's time for me to let it go and focus on something more fun...College football. Go Gators!

6 comments:

jessica said...

you know, there is hardly ever an attorney commercial on t.v. here. at first it was very odd to watch any day time t.v. and not see it.
now, it is just nice.
my mom was in a motorcycle wreck over three years ago and still has major issues b/c of it. she has an attorney, but is only out to get her medical bills reimbursed and her motorcycle fixed (i'm out for the millions :-)

Lauren said...

I hate those attorney commercials and how they swindle people. Somehow it always makes me want to get in a wreck. How could that be a good thing? Slick words...

The letter 'M' said...

Don't get me started on the 'One Call, That's All' guy {Mr. Morris Bart}- Troy worked for him briefly. Nice guy, shady practice- HIGH turnover of attorneys. And Troy saw a LOT of people scamming to get the big bucks. Big time. I'm so glad he's outta there and not working personal injury anymore!

Stacy Hutchinson said...

Those commercials always make me laugh. Especially the dramatic ones about being exposed to asbestos or a medicine with horrible side effects.

Jessica said...

oh, i just thought about this.
i really hated/loved the commercials in b.r. where someone sits there and says, "I was in a wreck on I-10 @ ___ and I got X$$$" those were so funny b/c (if memory doesn't fail) in the background they had the area traffic showing or something.

Jeni said...

They are why we're paying out the rear end for car insurance premiums. Frivolous lawsuits. For instance, our neighbors from Ohio were paying $350 every 6 months for their 2008 Honda Accord. We pay $850 every 6 months for our 2009 Camry. We pay more than DOUBLE! It boils my blood.