Tuesday, June 3, 2008

BIG APPLE: SECOND BITE

After dropping off the luggage, Brad and Maren tried to start crossing things off their "to-do" list. They found their way over to Central Park and walked through it on their way to Lincoln Center (home to the LDS temple.) Central Park is such a beautiful peaceful place in the middle of the city. Sheep's Meadow is a big open field within Central Park that used to have grazing sheep. Now it's a designated quiet spot for New Yorkers.


From Central Park, they walked just a couple of "city blocks" over to Lincoln Center. The temple sits amongst lots of other buildings, which is a rare site. Apparently the building that houses the Temple also is home to a few wards. The building was closed for renovation, but Maren and Brad snapped a couple pictures for fun.

To continue the adventure, Brad and Maren ventured on to the Empire State Building. Their route led them first by Columbus Circle and Trump Tower.


Because of the beautifully clear day, the view from the Empire State building was perfect. The trip to the 86th floor is a whopping $19/person, but for a tourist, not to be missed. Along the way, aggressive salespeople are peddling all kinds of add-ons to make the view more enjoyable. It was in line for the elevator to the top that Maren first realized the large proportion of foreigners, especially Europeans. There is an upside to a down economy- plenty of international tourism taking advantage of the weak dollar. The view from the top is breathtaking. New York is HUGE!



Are you ready for more? Check back in a day or two for the rest of the story!

3 comments:

Nicole E. said...

I love NYC. I have been there a bunch lately for work and would love to take Matt there. I am sure you had sticker shock like I do everytime I go. The good thing for me is that the firm pays for everything so it doesn't kill me everytime I take out my credit card. It is amazing what a hotel cost in NYC and dinner, etc. Sounds like you had a blast. When were you there? I was there last Tuesday and Wednesday! Miss you!

Kathy said...

I have always wanted to go. maybe someday. Looks like lots of fun! What a great surprise!

thecaillouets said...

will you e-mail me that yummy apple pie reciepie? jenicaillouet@yahoo.com. it looks like ya'll are having a blast. nyc is one of the places trent and i want to go.