Friday, March 7, 2008

FAMILY ENDURES SERIES OF MISHAPS

Bad things come in bunches of threes (or fours, or fives...) Perhaps they should adjust that adage for those living amongst small children. Sometimes parents of little rascals can barely regroup before the next mishap follows. Take the Cupit house, for example. This dear family lived through a few noteworthy accidents this week.

The first that comes to mind involves a key, a door, a mom unloading groceries and a curious 3-year-old. Result: two kids locked inside unable to reverse the mistake. Maren was able to talk to and see Laurel and Brant through the window. This helped the children stay calm for a minute or two. Next Maren had to run to the neighbor to borrow his phone because, sadly, her cell phone was locked inside the house with the kids. She called Brad to report the catastrophe. Thank heaven he was already in the middle of traffic, not at the beginning. He made it home in record time, only half divulging the not-so-legal moves he used to do it. Brant and Laurel and Maren had a hug session on the couch for quite a few minutes after their reunion.

Only a few minutes after that mishap, Brad and Maren's conversation in the kitchen was interrupted by a loud "thud" in the living room, followed by a super short silence and then the "I'm really hurt" cry. The accident wasn't witnessed by one capable of retelling the event, but most likely Laurel was sitting on the arm of the couch and tumbled forward, landing flat on her face. She hurt her nose and her forehead. After a little ice and comforting, she was okay.

Brant's had a few scrapes recently too. He fell out of his stroller at the zoo, refusing to let go of his drink cup. He still has the boo-boo on his finger that he points out to anyone who will listen. "I got a boo-boo at the zoo," followed by, "see zebras at zoo."

And finally, just yesterday or the day before, Brant came into the bathroom while Maren was getting ready, sat down on the edge of the bathtub and leaned backwards. Perhaps he thought the shower curtain would support him, but it didn't, and he fell over on his head.

It's a good thing children can't hire a personal injury attorney to sue their parents. Laurel and Brant could really rack up on the pain and suffering.

To prove that Maren's mothering skills aren't ALL bad, she brags that amongst all this, Laurel has learned her phone number. She has a little dance and song that she does when she says it. Also, Laurel has a new habit. When things are quiet for a few minutes, Laurel looks at her mother and says, "I really really love you Mommy."

4 comments:

Margo said...

Oh, your week sounds like ours! I liked the visual of Brad falling into the bathtub, sorry Brad. I almost posted a similar blog yesterday, but I promised all my readers that I would be all smiles so I didn't. I didn't want to report that my son fell into the stream with the ducks head first or that he drank some childrens motrin and we had to go to the ER. I'd be waiting for CPS to show up at my door :) I'm telling you because you can commiserate. Don't worry, you are not nearly as negligent!

Nicole E. said...

We had a boo boo filled week too last week and Lia has a bright pink cast to prove it. So she is five years old and has endured two major accidents where limbs ended up in a cast for 4-6 weeks! But I wouldn't trade them for the world. I hope you can come visit soon!

Heather said...

WOW - you had a rough couple of days! I am glad that everyone is okay and you manged to not have to rush anyone to the emergency room!!

Stacy Hutchinson said...

Now you can add a couple more notches on Brant's list, thanks to Ayden. Again, I'm sorry. I really don't like it when Ayden is a big bully.