Tuesday, January 29, 2008

GROOVE GOES STIFF

At a recent wedding, one of Maren's worst fears seemed to be happening before her eyes...her groove was gone. Once upon a time, not too very long ago, she approached the dance floor with self-confidence and energy. Rhythm was easy; dance was easier. In fact, while dancing, she seemed to forget about other insecurities while the music lightened her mood. Maybe it took a few songs to warm up, but before long, she felt at ease. So now she wonders, where did it go? Where is that blithe attitude? Where is the smooth movement? Surely someone came in the night and snatched them away as an unavoidable payment for momdom. Maybe this is evidence that any talent, no matter how innate, can fall to the wayside if left alone. In the absence of church dances, occasional dance club outings, and even Jazzercise, the dance fever has been replaced by stiff awkwarditis. Maybe it can be cured. Maybe more daytime dances with toddlers to Wiggles songs will help. If that fails, Maren says she will resort to radio dance parties when no one else is watching.

4 comments:

Jeni said...

I'm sorry...I never had "the groove."

Nicole E. said...

you gotta hit the clubs every once in awhile to keep it going! I went out with some girlfriends a couple of weeks ago to CityWalk and I may have looked like an idiot but it was fun!

Heather said...

NOOO - we had way too much fun dancing!! Although, I am afraid that my groove is also going, if not already gone. How sad. I guess we better get out there and practice some more - just a little bit different music now - like the backyardigans and Mickey Mouse. I think that I can do the hot dog dance - does that count?? ;-)

Margo said...

oh no, i'm in trouble when's jon's work party comes around. perhaps i have caught this strange disease. maybe you just need to borrow my leather pants:)