Friday, September 14, 2007

HALLOWEEN CAN'T COME SOON ENOUGH FOR KIDS, MOM


October means many things in southeast Louisiana. Cooler temperatures, the beginning of "holiday party season", candy everywhere, costumes and decorations showing up at almost any store. At the Cupit house, October couldn't come fast enough this year, so Maren bought costumes in September. She's been buying decorations throughout the year. "I really, really love October through December," says Maren, "It just makes me so happy."


Maren says she loves hot apple cider, scarecrow decorations in neighbor's yards (although she's never done one herself), chocolate cookies, trick-or-treaters, breezy days, pumpkin patches and photo ops. Maren and others relish the time when moms can finally take the kids to an outdoor park for a few hours without heat exhaustion, when summer items go on clearance, and shoppers begin to see hints of the holiday season popping up on shelves.

As a mother of a little girl and a little boy, Mrs. Cupit decided this would be a great year for Mickey and Minnie Mouse costumes. She had planned on Brant being a pumpkin this year and has a fantastic pumpkin costume in the attic (size 2-4). Perhaps an aspiring pumpkin out there could use it? Antsy and impatient, Maren couldn't wait to try the costumes on the kids. Maren and Brad finally convinced Brant to keep the hat on his head, but they're not sure this will last through a whole evening of trick or treating. Laurel loved to look at herself in the mirror in her new dress. She spent about 20 minutes between the mirror and dancing around the bedroom with the radio on performing her interpretive dance. She may be a little tom-boyish sometimes, but she loves puffy skirts that spin out when she dances.

5 comments:

jessica and bart said...

that is so cute. brennan wants to be darth vader, and i am trying my hardest to sway his opinion...
i love the holiday season, too.

Cathi said...

I love the outfits! I can't believe you got Brant to leave the mickey ears hat on - and Laurel was okay giving it up to him. The Minnie outfit is really cute - they'll be so cute on Halloween!

Stacy Hutchinson said...

I love their costumes! Ayden wants to be tigger, but I'm forcing him to be a skunk and Ian will be a beaver. I'm going to be a tree and Josh will be a lumberjack. I hope Ayden will cooperate. My mom's making his costume right now.

Griffitts said...

My kids want to be princesses, BIG suprise!!! I am trying my hardest to sway them, by pointing out EVERY other costume in the stores. They dress up in their princess dresses every single day so I think that on Halloween they should be something different! Believe it or not I to am looking forward to cooler weather. This humidity thing is driving me crazy!!! I am sure that I will be wishing it back when the temps are below zero and I won't leave the house.

Kathy said...

I am excited for the beautiful weather. Last tues we has a 70 degree day. it was awesome. this is my fav time of year.