Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Laurel's Annual Checkup and Storytime

We went to see Dr. Melton yesterday for Laurel's 3 year old checkup. Thankfully, a good friend took care of Brant so that we didn't need to bring him with us. Laurel was very happy to go and even practiced saying "ahhh" on the way there.

Laurel weighs just over 36 pounds and she is 38 3/4 inches tall. She's proportionately just right. Both her height and weight are around the 75th percentile. The appointment was pretty uneventful. We talked about speech and hearing and will be sending paperwork to Dr. Melton as we get it. He does want us to work with Laurel on speech because he thinks her IQ is higher than where her language development is testing. I have been working with Laurel a lot lately by reading books and talking to her about anything and everything. I think it's helping. I think her confidence is building as well.

On another note, we went to storytime today at the library. We also left storytime today. I think maybe we made it a few minutes longer than last week, but barely. Both Laurel and Brant HATE sitting still. Laurel loves the songs and games part of it, but when it's time to sit down and listen to the stories, she won't do it. I end up battling a squirmy Brant and trying to stay calm while telling Laurel to come sit down. I did make a little progress this week. I only threatened twice before we left. We may have to just stop going until she gets older. Maybe we'll go the indoor park instead so she doesn't have to sit still. I am going to try at least one more week before I give up. It's pretty comical when I look at the whole situation. Almost all of the other children sit calmly in their parents' laps, many sucking their thumbs or clinging firmly to their mothers' clothes. My children can't seem to get away from me fast enough. Speaking positively, no one does "If You're Happy and You Know It" better than Laurel and Brant. They also LOVE "Roly Poly". They just want to dance and move through the whole thing!

Are you wondering why there have been no pictures from storytime? Would you like to see one?
Notice how the children in the background are standing right next to their mothers. My children are thinking, "Mom's taking pictures... FREEDOM!!"

3 comments:

The Clarke Family said...

Hey, my son runs away too:) Maybe we can have our own storytime where we all run around screaming, stopping at the book every few minutes to see what it's all about.

Congrats on the loan payoff... ours will be awhile yet!

jessica and bart said...

story time is a horrible invention by the wicked witch of the west. brennan gets very nervous when he is around a group of people he doesn't know, so he clings to me like glue...sharing time, on the other hand is a different story. imagine your story time, then put it in a church environment. he sure sings great (that means loud) and volunteers to answer, he just isn't singing the right words or really knowing the answer...i feel your pain, and i hope both our kids outgrow it FAST, before we mommy's go insane!!!

Heather said...

Don't feel bad - Tyler hates to sit still for stories at storytime as well. He will sit on my lap during all of the fun songs - he won't do any of them, but he will sit. I just quit going to the storytime in the library. I found a great one at that children's museum that we went to.