Thursday, May 31, 2007

Louisiana Summer Night





During my time here in the south, I have learned about a favorite summer pastime...snowballs. Those of us from other places may know them as snow cones or shaved ice with flavored syrup. Around here, you don't have to drive far to see a snowball stand: a small, shed-like building, with a few windows, and generally painted in rainbow stripes. They sell about a hundred different flavors, and I learned last night that you can pay a little extra for toppings such as evaporated milk or a scoop of ice cream. I haven't tried that yet.

We went out after dinner last night for a treat. Laurel talked about her "snowman ball" the whole way there and back, and even when I tucked her into bed! I think we'll have to do this again. Brant wasn't quite as thrilled until he learned he could just drink the syrup and melted ice through a straw. Until then, he just wanted to roam.

I am very impressed that they sell a few flavors in clear. I wonder if a mom invented that?

2 comments:

The Clarke Family said...

Oooh, yum! I think I need to run to Rita's and get some water ice.

Kathy said...

Sounds good. The kids are so cute. That is awesome, I did not know they sold some in clear. Well thanks for the call yesterday, your such a great friend!